-- ADVERTISEMENT --

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has moved to add four former district engineers as additional respondents in the plunder case against former Senator Ramon Bong Revilla Jr., currently under review by the Department of Justice (DOJ), according to Justice spokesperson Polo Martinez.

The individuals named are former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) NCR engineers Denryl Caesar Cortuna, Manny Bulusan, Ruel Umali, and Arturo Gonzales Jr.

Martinez said the NBI found evidence indicating that the four may have conspired in the alleged plunder scheme, prompting the agency to include them in the complaint. Subpoenas were issued to the four on Friday.

He added that they will be given the opportunity to submit their counter-affidavits and present their defenses.

Because of these developments, the next preliminary investigation hearing has been rescheduled to March 3, Tuesday.

-- ADVERTISEMENT --

Other respondents in the case include former DPWH Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo, former DPWH district engineer Henry Alcantara, former DPWH regional director Gerard Opulencia, and several unidentified individuals.

So far, only Revilla has submitted a counter-affidavit. His camp said the other respondents opted not to respond to the complaint after being discharged to become part of the Witness Protection Program.

Martinez earlier clarified that respondents being considered as state witnesses may choose to file either a manifestation or a counter-affidavit.